Bill Johnson Update + Hot Dog Contest + Mound Cemetery Tour
Hello, people of Marietta! It’s me again, Christopher Schmitt, your host of the Marietta Daily. Here is what is happening today in Marietta.
First, what the next three days of weather will look like:
- Monday: Partly cloudy. High 92, low 68.
- Tuesday: Quite sunny. High 93, low 68.
- Wednesday: Isolated thunderstorms. High 89, low 68.
Fun fact of the day about Marietta:
Marietta has had a historically strong German population. In the 1890s there was even “social friction” between Germans and non-Germans. There was an issue at a city council meeting about possible discrimination against German women from The Women’s Home. The director assured the board that they had not discriminated against. There had been reports of Ku Klux Klan activity against German Catholics near Watertown, but it seems that this probably has more to do with religion than ethnic heritage. World War I stirred up some anti-German sentiment in Marietta. Local newspapers worked hard to remind people that the Germans in Marietta were still loyal citizens, and the German-born Mariettans worked hard to prove it. The German Methodist Church stopped giving sermons in German, and public schools stopped teaching German.
The cheapest gasoline in town:
- Go Mart on Pike Street, $ 3.09
- The cargo area at Williamstown, $ 3.09
- Marathon on Muskingum Drive, $ 3.09
- Gilman Avenue Marathon, $ 3.09
- State Route 7 Marathon, $ 3.09
A full list can be found here.
- The average price of gas in Ohio today is $ 3.07
Here are the best stories in Marietta today:
- Weekly Congressman Johnson Update (Patch)
- The Locker Room Sports Bar hosted its 14th annual hot dog tasting competition. Jimbo Slice won for the fifth consecutive year. (WTAP)
- Scott Britton of the Castle organized a Patriots Tour to Mound Cemetery. (WTAP)
- Bikers gathered at the American Legion to ride in honor of a fallen military specialist. They rolled around to give scholarships of $ 500 to students entering the armed forces. (WTAP)
Today in Marietta
- Virtual History Camp: Rebuilding America 1880-1900 (9:30 a.m.)
Events to come:
- Music by the river in Belpre. Tuesday June 6 at 7:30 p.m. Details here.
- Music in Marietta Park. Thursday June 8 at 7 p.m. Details here.
- Cruise to the lock. A tour of the Valley Gem Sternwheeler locks. Details here.
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting the local news!
You are officially in the know for today. See you soon! If you like these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Christophe schmitt
About me: Hi, I’m the Community Editor for Patch.com/marietta. I have lived in Marietta for most of my life. I graduated from EW Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University in 2014. I wrote for a community newspaper before moving to New York City to be a national correspondent for IHeartRadio. I can’t wait to take my experience home with me and provide Marietta with the exceptional journalism she deserves. You can email me at [email protected] or call me at 740-516-4969.
Got a tip or suggestion for an upcoming Marietta Daily? Email me all inquiries to [email protected]