Ohio State heads to Rutgers for regular season finale – Ohio State Buckeyes
Ohio State at Rutgers
Dated: October 31
Time: 1:00 p.m.
Place: Yurcak Field (5,000)
To concern: B1G + ($)
Live Statistics: OhioStateBuckeyes.com
Play Notes: Ohio State | Rutgers
Lists: Ohio State | Rutgers
Season statistics: Ohio State | Rutgers
Columbus, Ohio – Ohio State (6-8-1, 2-5-0) wraps up the 2021 regular season this fall at Rutgers (8-5-2, 2-4-1) on Sunday. The first kick is at 1 p.m. The match will be broadcast live on B1G + ($). Ohio State has won its last two games, both in Columbus, by 2-1 over Penn State and Michigan.
Michigan’s most recent victory came in the home season final. Senior Xavier Green scored in the first half before the Wolverines tied the game at 1 for all. Second-year captain Laurence Wootton, the reigning Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, scored the game-winning goal in the 89th minute to give the Buckeyes the victory.
- Follow the stats live at OhioStateBuckeyes.com. The game will be broadcast live on B1G +.
- Xavier Green and Laurence Wootton each scored in the thrilling 2-1 win over Michigan last Tuesday in Columbus. Green gave the Buckeyes a 1-0 lead in the first half and Wootton secured the win with the go-ahead in the 89th minute.
- Wootton was named the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week on October 26 after a three-point game against Penn State in which he scored and assisted another goal in a 2-1 victory over the Nittany Lions. He then scored the same night in the 2-1 win over the Wolverines at Columbus.
- Wootton, a second-year captain, was named one of the top 25 men’s soccer student-athletes nationwide by TopDrawerSoccer.
Wootton leads the Buckeyes with 14 points and six goals this season. The Halstead, England midfielder is ranked No.21 by TopDrawerSoccer.com. He is the second highest rated player in the Big Ten.
- Seven seniors were recognized ahead of the game against the Nittany Lions on October 22. Three (Noah Lawrence, Joe Ortiz and Samuel Buzzas) were recognized in the spring but chose to return for the fall 2021 season. Sam Mason, Tommy Marusic, Luis Hernandez and Luke Kiley were also honored.
- Ohio State freshmen Nathan Demian and Anthony Samways were named to the TopDrawerSoccer Top 100 Freshmen list (mid-season). Demian, a defenseman from British Columbia, was ranked 36th nationally while Samways, a midfielder from Loveland, Ohio, was ranked 62nd.
- Ohio State is entering its fourth season under the direction of head coach Brian Maisonneuve.
- Maisonneuve was an associate head coach at Indiana University, guiding the team to the 2012 NCAA national title. He was a member of the Columbus Crew from 1996 to 2004.
- Trailing 1-0 in the 88th minute, senior Devyn Etling, making his first start of the fall season, led a long cross from second Owen Sullivan to send the game against No.17 Bowling Green in overtime. After senior goalie Keagan McLaughlin stopped a Falcon PK attempt, senior Xavier Green scored in the 106 ′ for the winner of the double OT match.
- With the 2-1 (2ot) win over the No.17 Bowling Green, Ohio State is 3-1 against the Ohio teams this year after the Cleveland State shutouts (2-0) and of n ° 7 Akron (1-0) and a defeat against Xavier (2-1).
- Second-year students Deylen Vellios and Laurence Wootton along with senior Xavier Green were named the 2021 Big Ten Players to Watch on August 23 following a pre-season Big Ten Coaches vote. Wootton leads the Buckeyes with 14 points. Green is next with nine.
- Ohio State sacked all 12 players with points from the 2021 spring season, including all eight scorers.
- Wootton and Parker Grinstead led the Buckeyes offensively last spring and both were members of the Big Ten All-Freshman squad. Wootton was named First Team All-Big Ten and was named the 2021 league Freshman of the Year.
- Three Buckeyes have chosen to use the additional year of eligibility offered by the NCAA due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Samuel Buzzas, Joe Ortiz and Noah Lawrence returned to the Ohio State roster for the extra year.
- Ohio State started the season 1-1 in the annual Wolstein Classic on the Ohio State campus. The Buckeyes beat Memphis 3-2 and fell to UAB 2-1 in overtime. Laurence Wootton and Channing Chasten won All-Tournament honors.
Scarlet Knights of Rutgers
Oct. 31/1 p.m. / Piscataway, New Jersey
Location: Piscataway, New Jersey
Reception area: Yurcak field (5,000)
Head Coach: Jim McElderry
Career record: 146-142-53 (19 years old)
School record: 19-17-6 (3 years old)
Spring 2021 record: 4-4-1, 4-4-0 (Big Ten)
OSU Series Record: 6-2-0
(H: 3-1-0; A: 2-1-0; N: 1-0-0)
Last meeting: 11/09/19, W, 1-0, Bloomington, Ind.
Big Ten Tournament 2019