Buckeyes ready to host NCAA Columbus Regional – Ohio State Buckeyes
NCAA Columbus Regional
Appointment: May 16-18, 2022
Course: Scarlet Course at OSU Golf Club – Columbus, Ohio
By/yardage: Par 71 – 7,422 yards
Live score: golfstat
Departure times: Departure times 1st and 10and departures from 7:30 a.m. each day
Teams: Arkansas, Clemson, Duke, East Tennessee State, Florida Gulf Coast, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Northwestern, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, San Francisco, Southern Illinois, Wright State
Columbus, Ohio- Ohio State has a big opportunity heading into the coming week as the Buckeyes play in the NCAA’s Columbus Region on their home course. The top 5 teams and the top person not on one of those teams will qualify for the NCAA Championship at Grayhawk Golf Club later this month. The Buckeyes are the No. 6 seed in the 13-team field and will start play at 8 a.m. Monday morning on the 10and tee.
- Ohio State’s lineup this week is Patrick Schmucking, Maxwell Modovan, Adam Wallin, Jon Erik Alford and Jackson Chandler.
- The top 5 teams and the top person not on one of those teams will qualify for the NCAA Championship at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Ariz., May 27-June 1.
- The Buckeyes have topped the NCAA Regional 10 times since the NCAA switched to the regional format.
- The last time the Buckeyes qualified for the NCAA Championship was in 2019, when they were runners-up at the Myrtle Beach Regional. They finished 13and at the NCAA Championships in Arkansas.
- Last season, Ohio State finished sixth at the Tallahassee Regional, just two shots out of qualifying. Maxwell Moldovan led the way with a tied 17 pointsand after three rounds of 1-under 71.
- Ohio State had a great spring, finishing in the Top 6 in six of seven events. That included a victory at the Southern Invitational and four medalists this spring.
- The Moldovan has been great this year. He has three wins this spring, including a two-stroke win at the Robert Kepler Intercollegiate. The All-Big Ten first-team unanimous winner leads the team with an average of 70.70 and has posted 14 rounds in the 60s this season.
- Adam Wallin is second on the team with 71.85 points and has 10 rounds in the 60s. He has earned second-team All-Big Ten accolades and has seven Top 20 finishes on the year.
- Patrick Schmucking won qualifying this week. He comes in with a score of 73.93 across nine events.
- JonErik Alford had a solid spring, scoring three Top 25 finishes in seven events. He is tied with Schmucking with an average of 73.93 over 29 rounds.
- Jackson Chandler is back in the lineup after not playing in the Big Ten Championship two weeks ago. He has a pair of Top 10s, including a seventh-place finish at the Southern Invitational. He’s third on the team in scoring at 73.52 and is 11 laps behind or better.